British police arrest Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct

February 19, 2026
Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends the traditional Easter Sunday Mattins Service at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle on April 20, 2025 in Windsor, England. (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

(LONDON) -- Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -- formerly known as Prince Andrew and the younger brother of King Charles III -- was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

In a statement, Thames Valley Police said it had "arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk."

"The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance," the statement said.

Photos from Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England showed what appeared to be police officers arriving in several unmarked vehicles. Thursday marks Andrew's 66th birthday.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Charles said, "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office."

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation," Charles added.

"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."

The Prince and Princess of Wales issued a statement supporting the king.

Andrew's arrest on Thursday follows the emergence of documents detailing communication between Andrew and the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew has previously denied wrongdoing with respect to Epstein.

If convicted, misconduct in public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

There have been no senior royals arrested in recent history. In November 2002, Princess Anne pleaded guilty to having a dog dangerously out of control and was fined £500. 

The palace confirmed to ABC News that it was not informed ahead of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.

Thames Valley Police told ABC News last week that it was assessing reports of Andrew's alleged misconduct in office as trade envoy.

"We can confirm receipt of this report and are assessing the information in line with our established procedures," a Thames Valley Police spokesperson said in a statement on Feb. 9.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

ABC News' Zoe Magee, Angeline Jane Bernabe, James Hill and Melanie Schmitz contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2026, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Catch local and national news 24/7 from Fox News and NH1