Tuesday News Headlines

Tuesday News Headlines


New information has been released about the death of a New Hampshire native in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Police there say 42-year-old Jamie Cail of Claremont was found unresponsive in her home by her boyfriend last week and taken to a nearby clinic. Staff there performed CPR but Cail passed away of what is being called an ailment. The cause of death won’t be known until autopsy results are released. 

Elliot Hospital in Manchester is the recipient of a 250-thousand-dollar grant for renovations and expansion of its Emergency Department.  The money comes from Brady Sullivan Properties, the hospital’s philanthropic partner.  The renovation project is scheduled for completion this spring.   

An airport located in Portsmouth is getting seven-million-dollars in federal funds to cover the cost of some upgrades. It was announced yesterday that Portsmouth International Airport at Pease is receiving money being made available through the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. The funds will be used to redesign the entrance and exit at the airport. Money is also going towards the expansion of the domestic bag claim arrivals hall and replacing electrical service. 

  Congresswoman Annie Kuster has nominated 23 New Hampshire students for admission to U.S. service academies.  Ten are nominees for the Naval Academy.  Five for the Military Academy, five to the Air Force Academy and three for the Merchant Marine Academy.  Kuster said she’s confident the students are up for the difficult task ahead.   

 Democrat Marianne Williamson says she’ll formally announce her candidacy for president on Saturday.  She plans a visit to New Hampshire soon after the announcement.  Williamson was a longshot candidate for the Democratic nomination in 2020.   

A 45-year-old New Hampshire man is under federal indictment by a Boston grand jury for allegedly robbing five banks in Massachusetts.  According to the U.S. Attorney’s office Reinaldo Ortiz of Manchester, held up banks in Fitchburg, Lowell, Chelmsford, Wilmington and Lexington in March of last year.  If convicted he could be sentenced to ten years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of up to 250-thousand-dollars.